Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Racial Talents  (Read 83 times)

imported_Rasyr

Racial Talents
« on: June 25, 2019, 06:51:38 AM »
Just had a bit of a thought....

The idea would basically take some of the Talents, and make them be for only a specific race, and the costs for this race would be less than for other races (I was thinking -1 point for every 4 or 5 points that the talent costs normally).

Other races would be able to acquire them at the normal costs, but these would be talents most commonly found among a given race.

I was thinking that if done this way, instead of giving a Talent Section of the book (for the basic version, not the full version), each race could list from 5-10 talents available for that race (and  we would not discuss the higher cost for other races (other than as a rule/guideline for the GM to implement if he likes).

This would allow for more uniqueness among the races, and also allow for members of a given race to become more powerful overall as time passes on. Perhaps a limit on how many Racial Talents could be acquired.

We could even take the current racial abilities and make them part of the lists as well, allowing for more customization overall, but also putting some breaks on as well (CP/XP values for the racial packages would alter as well).

Thoughts? Comments? (Note: will see about working up an example shortly).

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
Racial Talents
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 01:37:55 AM »
One thing I do using Novus & Hero System is give pool of Racial Talents and let the players choose 2 or 3 of them.  That way not all elves have the exact same talents.  That would be a fun thing to do in a setting. 

imported_Rasyr

Racial Talents
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 09:21:41 AM »
That was what I was thinking for Anwyn, to give each race a pool of talents to purchase from rather than a static list (and adding those CP back into the total for making those purchases).

Online Fidoric

• View Profile
Racial Talents
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 02:28:52 AM »
Interesting idea.
In answer to the original post, you may add specific discounts to cultures and TPs in addition to races.

Offline kustenjaeger

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
Racial Talents
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 04:31:00 AM »
Having a mixed set of potential talents within any group - not just race/species - sounds like a good idea.

Edward

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Racial Talents
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 07:10:26 AM »
I'm incorporating this into my Novus Shadow World conversion. I'll post an example here later today.

Offline Sunwolf

• View Profile
Racial Talents
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 02:16:09 PM »
Overall sounds good, but it is easier to create custom races when there is a complete list with costs in one place

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Racial Talents
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 02:31:15 PM »
Quote from: 17965
Overall sounds good, but it is easier to create custom races when there is a complete list with costs in one place

I think you might be misunderstanding. The idea is to take a finished race, and create a small list of talents for that race for players to choose from (rather than from the huge complete list). This sort of thing would be for using the system with a specific setting, rather than for a general game.