Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Spells question  (Read 224 times)

imported_Rasyr

Spells question
« on: February 19, 2020, 07:34:10 PM »
I just realized that I could introduce an easy way of making some spells scalable by introducing  "per rank" capabilities.

Essentially, instead of making spells be a specific duration, or be tied to a static number that can be scaled up, I could include rank based abilities.

for example I already have a couple of spells that essentially have a duration of "1 min/rnk (C)", where it lasts up to a max of 1 minute for each rank that they have in the spell casting skill (note: this is per rnak only, no stats or other bonuses involved).

What does everybody think about this?

Opinions wanted....

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
Spells question
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 12:26:42 PM »
I have always liked the idea of the per rank "spell as a skill" approach. Keeps scaling easy. As a thought though, maybe scaling is tied to lore not to skill?

imported_Rasyr

Spells question
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 01:34:59 PM »

I have always liked the idea of the per rank "spell as a skill" approach. Keeps scaling easy. As a thought though, maybe scaling is tied to lore not to skill?

We have 3 magical skills. Casting, Magecraft, and Magelore. In reading the skill descriptions, if we do not go with the Casting, it would seem, from teh descriptions, that Magecraft would be the better choice than Magelore.

Afterall, Magecraft is what determines how many spells they can learn, so to me that seems the better choice.

imported_Rasyr

Spells question
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 04:04:48 PM »
ONly 5 and a half spell lists (all for Hybrids) left to finish repricing, and then back to rebuildign the Beta manuscripts.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spells question
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 10:05:48 AM »
Quote from: 17624
ONly 5 and a half spell lists (all for Hybrids) left to finish repricing, and then back to rebuilding the Beta manuscripts.
Hmm... I am now down to 7 spell lists (all for Hybrids).
One thing that I had been doing is turning the text color red whenever I would stop. I had apparently forgotten and left an earlier item red and did not realize it. (and had not checked this thread heheh).
Anyways, I have made even more spells use the xxx/rank duration feature. Still hoping to get it all done today, so I can get back to rebuilding the  PDFs (also gotta finish the task of rolling boons into Fate Points, and condensing snags into a much smaller table that is much more generic -- but that I can do as I am reworking the PDFs).

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spells question
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 03:43:33 PM »
Now down to 4 spell lists to rework....

The end is in site!!

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spells question
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 09:06:00 PM »
2 spell lists lever to rework!!!
Woot!!!

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spells question
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2020, 12:06:21 AM »
and the spells are done being reworked

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Spells question
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 05:23:48 AM »
<p>Excellent. A little closer to v15. I'm looking forward to reading it.</p>

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spells question
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 07:48:46 AM »
Yup, next step is to work all of the changes into the PDF (as I continuie to make some more minor changes (for example, I am chaning Type II Secondary Damage threshold from Stamina+2 to Stamina+4 AND I still have to handle the Boon tables into Fate Point options, but those won't take me long at all I don't think.

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Spells question
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 10:56:37 AM »
<p>I had a thought on wound thresholds. </p>
<p>My original idea was to have a single increment then a small table like this to make it easy:</p>
<p>Hits  Effect</p>
<p>1-4    None</p>
<p>5-8   Dazed</p>
<p>9-12 Staggered</p>
<p>13+  Knock Out</p>
<p>That way it's easily represented on the character sheet.</p>
<p>Is that your vision? Thoughts</p>

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spells question
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 11:51:14 AM »
right now we have the following table

Secondary Damage Table
ThresholdBashingSlashPierceEnergy
Type I (Con+2)Dazed (1)Penalty (-1)Bleeding (1)Penalty (-1)
Type II (Stamina+2)Stun (1)Bleeding (1)Dazed (1)Stun (1)

So, part of the plan is to change Type II to be "Stamina+4" because the more I considered it, the more I realized that we were going to be hitting Type II too soon... (side note: the Threshold is reached if the total hits meets or exceeds those values (this would total AFTER AR is applied); also Secondary damage is NOT one or the other. if Type II is delivered, so is Type I)
Other that that change, I think that works well for most secondary damage in general.
Now, in addition to the above, we have Minor, Major, and Dire Wounds, which were only available from Boons right now....
So, they would now cost 1,2, & 3 Fate Points respectively for delivering that way.
But I also want to be able to deliver them naturally as well, without Fate Point intervention, so what I was thinking to create some Thresholds for them to be applied, like so.....

Wound Thresholds
 Wound Level Threshold
Minor? 10 Hits total (after AR)
Major? 10 + Type I Threshold Hits
Dire? 10 + Type II Threshold Hits
  Only one type of wound is dealt per attack in this manner

Thoughts? Comments?

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spells question
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 12:07:44 PM »
Additional Notes on my reasoning ---
Doing Wounds in this manner, uses the thresholds already set up, plus does so in an easy to remember manner.
Plus it does not REQUIRE any changes to the character sheet (I am thinking some tweaks to it might be helpful -- similar to what you suggested, but basically expanding  on what already exists. 
On second thought, Fate Point costs might be 2,3,4 for Wounds (thus allowing for 1 FP to be spent on Type I Secondary Damage, or 2 FP for Type II (which includes Type I) OR 2x Type I damage.
This will inherently also encourage the player to save the Fate Points for important things as well, while still allowing for customized damage (and the "critical effects" as it were are also based on how well the attack does, and is not random (like it is in a certain other game we all know)

Offline witchking20k

• View Profile
Spells question
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 08:27:24 PM »
<p>Cool- looking forward to seeing how it all hangs together. I think I'll have to make some characters and play before I have any real input, not just observation.</p>

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Spells question
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 07:59:09 AM »
Sounds good to me!  :)