Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Starting Skill limits  (Read 300 times)

Offline Tywyll

• FX Playtesters
    • View Profile
Starting Skill limits
« on: January 20, 2024, 09:36:47 PM »
I am a bit confused by starting ranks for pcs. It says that you can only buy 2 ranks of a skill with DP per level. Does that matter which of your two vocations it comes from? Is this in addition to your background and free vocational ranks?

For example, say I am a Barbarian/Barbarian. I get 2 ranks in Battle Frenzy per vocation and 3 DP per vocation (6 total) in Combat. I start with 4 ranks in Battle Frenzy (or do I? Am I limited to 2 ranks despite doubling my vocation?). Can I spend any of my 6 DP to increase it or is it capped at 4 since that is above the 2 limit?

Online Dimirag

• View Profile
Re: Starting Skill limits
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 11:59:06 PM »
Barbarian is a culture, maybe you are referring to a Barbarian Berserker/Berserker.

Ranks from Culture and Vocations aren't purchased thus do not count towards the 2 times purchase limit. At level 1 you have 6-8 ranks depending if you purchase 0, 1, or 2 ranks in that skill. You then add Insight to the total ranks.

When purchasing skill ranks it doesn't matter from which Vocational Kit those DP come, it matters if they are from the same Skill Category, and that no more than 2 ranks are purchased on the same skill.
I'm not a native English speaker, sorry for any error.

Offline Rasyr

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Skill limits
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 08:26:49 AM »
There are only 2 rules regarding Skill Ranks.

1) Vocational Ranks, from any combination of Vocations, cannot give more than 4 ranks to a single skill.

2) You can only purchase 2 ranks per level using DPs.

Now considering that Cultures only give a max of 2 ranks in any skill, this means that a character could start with up to 8 ranks in some skills (not counting any bonus ranks or bonuses from Backgrounds, which would stack as well).

(Note: I moved this thread to the public FX forum as this seemed more like a generic question that would be of interest to everybody, than a playtesting issue.)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 08:31:52 AM by Rasyr »