Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Monte Cook rehired by WotC  (Read 1172 times)

imported_Rasyr

Monte Cook rehired by WotC
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2011, 12:04:01 PM »
I find that idea (new edition every 5 years) a bit distasteful myself.

Now, every 10 years is better, I think, and then ONLY if it warrants or needs corrections and updates.

And beyond that, I have no problem with cranking out variants for specific settings -- note that I am a strong believer that the rules should be adapted to the setting and never the other way around. So, doing versions of the rules for specific setting or ideas (for example, doing a version that doesn't have levels or classes, and uses Spell Bases only is an interesting idea/combination and one that I hope to someday explore -- but that special adaption won't be a "new edition" as far as the core rules are concerned.

imported_Raf Blutaxt

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2011, 12:43:39 PM »
The whole edition thing has a few problems. There is no reason for people happy with the current edition to switch to a new one and you can't force them to. Of course, you can stop supporting it, but with OGL and all the possibilities of the internet, there is no need for official support, once a game has been out there for a while. So every edition means a potential loss of paying customers, that needs to be set off by new players attracted by the new edition. WotC tried this with 4e, which was clearly targeted on a different crowd than 3.x. Did they succeed? I don't have the numbers, but my overall impression is "not really". They pulled in a few new players and lost a large group to Pathfinder. They have created a situation similar to RM, where the fan-base is split between two editions of the game, but with the difference, that the two editions are controlled by different companies.

So any new edition would need to

a) give the current 4e players a reason to switch to 5.
b) attract new players to the game.
c) if at all possible, bring some of the lost 3x crowd back into the fold.

I for one don't envy Monte his job.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
Everytime a game releases a new version, it is going to lose some of its players - those who decide not to move on to the new version, but stick with the older version. it is a fact of life and will ALWAYS happen, regardless of the game.

The problem that WotC faces is that the 3.x version was released under the OGL, and that allowed other companies to take the ball and run with it. Other companies that have build up their own followings, and essentially taken their customers from the D&D pool of customers.

This makes attracting them back that much more difficult.

Attracting new players -- WotC (i.e. Hasbro) is one of the few companies with the resources to do this. Very few others can.

As for getting 4e to move to 5e - that depends on how they handle the actual revision. The best way, IMO, it to basically work on improving 4e in a variety of ways, rather than try to redesign things from the ground up. That way, it is more natural for 4e customers to move to 5e, as it is the "same game" only improved...

imported_Raf Blutaxt

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2011, 03:05:44 PM »
I aggree. I have not played 4e, except for one demo game, so I don't know which parts would best be improved, but in general fixing those things that didn't work, adding more of the things that were a success and smothing out any bumps would be the wisest course imo.

imported_Witchking20k

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 02:32:56 AM »
Interesting perspective.  I wonder how much the "hasbro" aspect of WoTC impacts their product schedule.  All board games go through constant re-releases etc......I wonder is Hasbro kinda assumes the D&D is approached the same way?

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 02:10:46 PM »
Don't forget the players/GMs that looked at 4th edition, and had some qualms about 3rd/3.5 and then went the Old School Renaissance route with the retro-clones.  I was one of those.  Sure I play a ton of other games too, but I haven't played any modern incarnation of the rules in a long time.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 03:11:20 PM »

I haven't played any modern incarnation of the rules in a long time.

Wouldn't that be because you are simply an old fart/grognard? 

imported_Witchking20k

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
LOL.  TIM FIGHT! TIIIIMMMM FIGHT!

imported_Viktyr Korimir

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 05:53:03 PM »

Don't forget the players/GMs that looked at 4th edition, and had some qualms about 3rd/3.5 and then went the Old School Renaissance route with the retro-clones.

Yeah. The 4e rules hit me so hard I stumbled all the way back into 2nd Edition.

imported_Witchking20k

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 03:50:48 AM »
Bah, ha ha a ha

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 05:46:19 PM »
Tim Fight!!!  haha.

RPG Progression:

1-shot boxed set of basic D&D, Heroquest (the board game), Lord of the Rings (red box), Rolemaster Standard System, D&D 3rd Edition/3.5, and then a crap ton of RPGs I won't bother to mention.  hehe.  As far as "D&D" goes lately, the closest thing I've played has been the Labyrinth Lord retro-clone (Basic/Expert D&D).

I play some Story Games from time to time, White Wolf games (love me some Vampire: the Masquerade), and some other odds and ends.

I'm probably getting my Grognard card in the mail though, even though I'm only 32.     

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 09:08:54 PM »
I think Grognard is more a state of mind than an actual reference to an age.

imported_Witchking20k

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2011, 01:24:04 PM »
I work with a young guy (21ish) that tried 4E and immediately went back to 3.5. Basically said they use the 4E RULES TEY LIKE WITH 3.5 and thats all

imported_Viktyr Korimir

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2011, 03:30:56 PM »
That actually works both ways. There are elements of AD&D that I port into 3.X, like multiclassing.

Offline ob1knorrb

• View Profile