Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Novus/Hârn Document Outline  (Read 495 times)

imported_Rasyr

Novus/Hârn Document Outline
« on: October 11, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »
The purpose of this thread is to develop the basic outline of the document to be created. It will quite likely be subject to change as things progress....

It is important to note, I believe, that this document should, proceed from the standpoint that the reader has BOTH Novus and Harn.

• Character Creation - This section will hold the rules for Character Creation - This section will basically list where things diverge from the core rules.
    • Character Concept
    • Select Race
      • Human
      • Dwarf
      • Elf
  • Select Background/Culture
    • Note: There are so many different cultures/tribes/kingdoms on Harn that I think that the best solution would be to develop several generic Backgrounds similar to those in the core Novus rules and then just list which Background is available each culture.
[/li][li]Select Class
  • Archer/Fighter/Rogue/Minstrel
  • Query: Should we create a specific "Scout" Class for Harn?
  • Spell Users - Already got threads started for the Shek-P'var, but I also need to start threads for the various types of Clerics to be found, plus there are the tribal Shamans as well.
[/list][/li][li]Generate Stats - as per the book[/li][li]Talents - perhaps list those that we think should be available and those that shouldn't - basically making it a master list of talents, including both core and those available from LN #3, which WILL be available by then.[/li][li]Training Packages - Do we want Training Packages? If so, how should we make them work? Should they work like Backgrounds (i.e. just choose one)? Or should they have a CP cost? (perhaps reduce the starting number of CP to account for the selection of a Training Package (i.e. all TPs cost 10 CP, so you only get 20 CP to spend on Talents and skills and spells, etc..)? This NEEDS discussion before a decision can be made in either direction...[/li][li]Skills - are there any Harn specific skills that need to be added or detailed? (i.e. such as Lores about specific Harn monsters or such..[/li][li]Equipment - do we go with the Starting Equipment list that we are developing or create one unique to Harn?[/li][li]Final Steps - much the same as the core rules[/li][/list][/list][/li]
 [li]Spell Lists

• Cleric Spell Lists by deity worshiped or perhaps by Clerical Order
  • Shek-P'var Spell Lists - by Convcation
  [/list][/li]
    [li]Money & Equipment -- Harn uses a different monetary system than Novus. Do we want to adapt that for Harn, or adapt Harn's for Novus (i.e. have a Chain Hauberk - and then describe how it covers the torso, arms and legs, but not the head, and give it its own set of modifiers for Imp and so forth...)[/li]
  [li]Harnic Creatures - a basic Harn bestiary giving Novus stats for the common Harn monsters (i.e. Gargun, etc..)[/li]
    [li][/li]
[/list][/list]

Offline Shagwell

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 07:40:29 AM »
This looks like a good start Tim - I'd say your general approach looks good!

Do you have a copy of the HârnMaster rules?  Perhaps Grant might give you one if you don't (I believe they were free at one stage).  These include some a lot of character generation/background info that might be useful to get a feel for setting up Hârn characters.

Good luck with it - I will probably only be able to pop in occasionally and fire off an ill-considered comment.   

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »
Yes, I do have a copy of the rules.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 03:33:15 AM »
Okay, just wanted to give some updates....

Training Packages -- mentioned above are out. However, we have come up with the idea of "Training Paths", which can and most likely will be used.

Backgrounds -- I still have to determine what most of these will be, but for the Barbarian tribes, Shagwell has broken them down into the following groupings:

- Primarily fisherfolk = Adaenum, Chymak, Kamaki.
- Primarily forest folk = Anoa, Taelda, Tulwyn, Ymodi.
- Primarily horse tribes = Chelni, Hodiri.
- Primarily hill tribes = Kath, Solori.
- Primarily degenerates = Kabloqui (weak), Pagaelin (strong).
- Forest/Hills = Bujoc
- Forest/Hills/Coast = Equani (slightly degenerate/strong?), Gozyda (3 small sub-nations, 1 degenerate/weak), Kubora, Urdu.

And I think that that is something that I can work with, and be able so develop several Backgrounds to cover the possibilities (HarnMaster only does 3 tribal backgrounds to cover this, IIRC). Most of Harn is under Feudal rule, so that will only need a few Backgrounds as well. Tharda, on the otherhand is more like a Roman culture, so that may produce some different backgrounds (still looking at both the HarnMaster rules and the d20 guidelines for Harn as well for inspiration).

I will start another thread later, to list all of the possible Talents, to see which ones are appropriate to Harn and which are not...

That is enough for this evening, I think... The bed is calling softly, but insistently, to me....