Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Barbarians of Hârn  (Read 732 times)

imported_Rasyr

Barbarians of Hârn
« on: October 24, 2011, 11:22:25 PM »
There are a number of barbarian tribes found on Hârn.  I will likely need to do up a background for each of these tribes, or at least some of them, based on their basic lifestyles.

I would welcome suggestions on which ones to group together. For example, there are a couple of tribes that are fishermen, so perhaps I can create a single "Tribal Fishermen" background for characters from those tribes to use, etc.

• Adaenum - Fisherfolk on Anfla Island off the southwest coast of Hârn.
  • Anoa - Nomadic hunters of the Anoth River valley in southern Orbaal.
  • Bujoc - Nation of shy, superstitious, forest nomads with a strong matrilineal culture.
  • Chelni - A loose confederation of tribesmen who control the Chelna Gap and surrounding hills. The Chelni breed ponies, which are traded for civilized goods.
  • Chymak - Famed sea-folk of Belna Island. They range the Gulf of Ederwyn in large sea-going canoes, and are much valued as seamen on merchant ships.
  • Equani - Fierce warrior tribesmen of Equeth, noted for their elaborate facial scars and tattoos, and their merciless treatment of intruders.
  • Gozyda - Forest tribesmen who control the Mimea Hills in western Hârn. Bandits and outlaws from Tharda and Kanday live among them.
  • Hodiri - Proud nomadic horsemen of the Horadir. The Hodiri are extremely fierce warriors.
  • Kabloqui - Degenerate cannibals from the north shore of Lake Benath. They are related to the Equani who detest them.
  • Kamaki - Reclusive herdsmen of Kamace Island.
  • Kath - A loose confederation of wild and fierce tribes inhabiting the Kathela Hills west of Kaldor. Kath women are known for their beauty.
  • Kubora - Powerful warrior nation of Peran. They once united under Arlun the Barbarian and conquered Rethem. They export wild beasts for the Parmesani games.
  • Pagaelin - The violent and viscous tribal nation dwelling southeast of Kaldor. The Pagaelin are much feared.
  • Solori - A primitive and wild nation in southeastern Hârn. The Solori are slowly being exterminated in a genocidal crusade waged by the knights of the Lady of Paladins.
  • Taelda - Nomadic hunter-gatherers who inhabit the vast forests of southern Nuthela. They are renowned healers and woodsmen.
  • Tulwyn - Merciless barbarians who inhabit the wilderness of Athul.
  • Urdu - Nomadic hunters who inhabit the range between the Chetul and Pemetta rivers in northwestern Hârn.
  • Ymodi - Wild forest tribesmen of Himod in northern Hârn. Beleaguered by the Equani to the west, Anoa to the east, and Gargun to the north and south, they survive due to their impressive skill with the bow and spear.

All of these tribes are of human barbarians. However, one thing that I thought that I might do, is perhaps nominate one or two tribes as being Halflings, for those GMs who would like an extra fantasy element....

For example, Bujoc, Kamaki, and Taelda seems most appropriate. And for a twist, a GM might include Tulwyn or Ymodi as Halflings instead of Humans.

Again, please note that I would only be making this as a suggestion that a GM could incorporate to increase the fantasy element, not as any sort of official translation for Novus.
[/list]

Offline Shagwell

• View Profile
Barbarians of Hârn
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 07:16:00 AM »
Some thoughts on Halflings: -
1) The mere thought of halflings on Hârn is blasphemy to some, so I'm glad you double-qualified your mention of them!  :-X
2) In the official material, there is an island well to the south of Hârn (Gyzem IIRC?), where 'halflings' are rumoured to dwell.
3) I pretty much agree with your call on the most appropriate candidates for Halfling tribes.

Offline Shagwell

• View Profile
Barbarians of Hârn
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 07:51:38 AM »
Just worth noting that the 'tribes' listed are actually tribal nations rather than single tribes.  They consist of anywhere from a handful of pathetic bands (Kabloqui) up to dozens of large tribes (100's of individuals) with tributary relationships (e.g. Kubora, Hodiri, Tulwyn).  Some of the nations have ranges that encompass a variety of environs, so you might have a mixture of coastal, forest and hill tribes.  Characters with farming/herding/domestic backgrounds may well be (escaped?) slaves.

My initial thoughts on possible groupings: -
- Primarily fisherfolk = Adaenum, Chymak, Kamaki.
- Primarily forest folk = Anoa, Taelda, Tulwyn, Ymodi.
- Primarily horse tribes = Chelni, Hodiri.
- Primarily hill tribes = Kath, Solori.
- Primarily degenerates = Kabloqui (weak), Pagaelin (strong).
- Forest/Hills = Bujoc
- Forest/Hills/Coast = Equani (slightly degenerate/strong?), Gozyda (3 small sub-nations, 1 degenerate/weak), Kubora, Urdu.

imported_Rasyr

Barbarians of Hârn
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:23:16 AM »
Yeah, I got the list from my Harn World book, so I know it only covered the broadest classifications.

Your breakdown here is very helpful though and it will help immensely.