Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Combat style: Viper Fang  (Read 480 times)

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Combat style: Viper Fang
« on: June 25, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »
Viper Fang:
That fighting style is designed around the use of a dagger in combat. More advanced practitioners may even wield two daggers for increased damage. This style is strongly connected with street thugs and assassins and in some place, displaying its techniques may be enough to be suspected of illegal background.
 Weapon requirement: None
  Cut     (4)
   Feint       (3)
   Killing Strike  (3)
   Parry       (4)
   Power Strike    (5)
   Probe       (2)
   Riposte     (4)
   Stab        (2)
   Thrust      (3)

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:08:19 AM »
Okay, you need to be a little more specific as to what this is....

It took me a couple a couple of moments to realize that is it a specific weapon style using a dagger. Also, you are missing a mechanism by which a second dagger may be used with this style.

It should require at least something along the lines of the paired or dual weapon kata talent (perhaps renamed) to allow for using 2 similar weapons without changing the parameters.

Or perhaps, it should be devised as a TWC-like style from the beginning.

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:46:27 PM »
Ok, I understand that I need to be more specific about the description.
One point I did not take into consideration is the fact you point out: this style is just a variation of the more generic two weapon combo...

I have also made an assumption that I hope is right. Some specific talents may be incorporated in a combat style and benefit from the possible discount. I think that is the way weapon kata is included in boxing style or Sanju for example. Not sure where it is written in the book though but I did not take much time to search for that point.

The description of the dual weapon kata is what I have in mind for this style. So can I add it to the different combat moves with a -1 discount, reflecting the fact that experienced user may develop this two weapon variant ?

This style is specifically designed to enhance the use of a dagger in combat. The experienced

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »
Argh !
Sorry for the editing. It seems my iPad doesn't want to work properly tonight. I am unable to cut the last sentence or edit it... I will go on with improving this style and the others as soon as I get back to my computer.
Thanks for your comments Tim. I will try to make the styles more explicit.
 I will also delete the weapon requirement line. I was just adding it in order to explain the combat moves cost discount. In my mind, no weapon requirement is similar to boxing style. You don't need to develop another style to improve that one. For Kenjutsu, the heavy weapon requirement means you need to have more ranks in heavy blades than in Kenjutsu style and thus gain a 2 points discount to all combat moves in the style.
I hope I make myself clear. More to follow tomorrow.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 10:18:17 PM »
There are 2 different kata options in LN#3.

Dual Weapon Kata (4 CP) -- Able to use a second weapon, at a -3 modifier to the Attack Bonus, to make a second attack each round. If used to shield the wielder (i.e. not used to attack), the character gets half of his overall attack bonus added to DEF (otherwise, if AB of one attack is reduced for Fighting Defensively, the AB of both are reduced by the same amount as is applied to DEF).

and

Paired Weapon Kata (4 CP) -- use both weapons (identical or nearly so) to make a single attack that does an amount of Base Damage equal to (weapon 1 base damage) + weapon 2 base damage) + Dex bonus.  So, presuming a +3 Dex Bonus and presuming that this style also uses a Dex Bonus, that means that a Paired Weapon attack would do a total base damage of 17 points (7 + 7 +3).

The thing is, this style does not use a weapon kata to begin with, so to use either of these Talents to add a second weapon to the style, I would require that the cost of a standard weapon kata be included, raising the cost to 7 CP for each capability (this being before any discounts for being part of the style.

So, I think that we could end up with the following:

Viper Fang:
This is dagger-based fighting style that is often practiced by street thugs and assassins. In some locations, such as in major cities, just showing that you know the moves of this style may be enough to have you suspected as having an illegal background. However, there are also a few remote locations that do teach this style as it allow for up close fighting that can be easily combined with other arts if needed.

More advanced practitioners of this style often learn how to use it with a second dagger, making them even more dangerous overall. Practitioners of this style cannot learn Second Fang or Dragon Fang until all other Combat Moves for this style have been learned. Additionally, Dragon Fang requires that the character already has Second Fang.
Combat Moves:
   Cut...........................(4)
   Feint.........................(3)
   Killing Strike..............(3)
   Parry........................(4)
   Power Strike.............(5)
   Probe.......................(2)
   Riposte....................(4)
   Stab.........................(2)
   Thrust......................(3)
   Second Fang (6 CP) -- Able to use a second dagger, at a -3 modifier to the Attack Bonus, to make a second attack each round. If used to shield the wielder (i.e. not used to attack), the character gets half of his overall attack bonus added to DEF (otherwise, if AB of one attack is reduced for Fighting Defensively, the AB of both are reduced by the same amount as is applied to DEF).
   Dragon Fang (6 CP) -- May use both daggers to make a single attack. The Base Damage for this attack is equal to the sum of the Base Damage from each dagger and the character's Spd Stat Bonus (Note: I altered it slightly to use Spd bonus for the 3rd inclusion of a stat bonus just to change things up slightly). This move requires 5 AP to perform.

How does this look?

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 09:02:49 PM »
It goes beyond what I was imagining. It is a very cool way to make it. One point I did not think about was the inclusion of paired weapon kata. I think it's an awesome twist because it allows to have numerous common thug learned in this style but only a selected few "masters" able to wield significantly higher damage with the same style. It creates a clear distinction between "basic" and "advanced pratictioners of this style. I think this could easily be connected with training paths...

Next WE, I will finish packing everything in the house for all the family goes to live 250 kms to the south... I may be out of touch for some days but after that I will have some holidays. I hope I will be able to think on this some more.

Thanks once again for the feed back Tim.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:39:20 PM »
Well, I thought that using the katas worked out well, even though this is not a MA Style, by tweaking them a little bit, it allows for the style to be unique and still be relatively balanced overall...