Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Middle Earth Novus  (Read 727 times)

imported_Witchking20k

Middle Earth Novus
« on: October 30, 2012, 11:29:09 PM »
Herein will be my contained much of my efforts to create a playable Novus/Middle Earth game.  Inspired by some material published long ago, the Peter Jackson movies, and the original works...

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 01:56:40 AM »
That is quite an undertaking.  I am going to be running the Lord of the Rings Adventure Game (I.C.E. Redbox) at my local convention soon.  I bought the two additional modules for it as well, Darker than the Darkness, & Over the Misty Mountains Cold.  It was a fun little system.  Have you looked into The One Ring at all?  I have it, but I haven't really given it much of a gander yet.  I also recently picked up a bunch of used & cheap MERP stuff at a consignment sale. 

imported_Witchking20k

Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 12:56:13 AM »
Really?  You think?  I actually think it'll be fairly straight forward...mostly slotting in the existing races/cultures with the appropriate ME counterparts.  Perhaps building a bit of separation between the "High" men/elves and the regular folk...

I think realistically only Elves would be able to start as Major Adepts.  Men as Minor.  Both would have access to the Universal Spells...but, part of the concept I am working with is to base the game in the 4th age after the fall of Sauron.  So, magic is a somewhat lost art ; part of the story should be finding the magic spells etc...

I have to purchase the Librams and look at the classes too...

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 03:21:51 PM »
Maybe it wouldn't be as tough as I am picturing.  Are you going to make your own Cultures based on the actual cultures from the setting?  Maybe by kingdom perhaps?  I have the old MERP book with treasures and magical items in it.  Do you have that?  It might give you ideas for items to translate to Novus.  I've always liked the idea of a 1st or 4th Age campaign.

imported_Witchking20k

Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 03:36:16 PM »
Well, after reviewing the Racial/Cultural packages from MERP I don't think there are any glaring oversights-perhaps I might need to add a couple of Cultures to cover the Noldor and Sindar Elves and alter the Racial Packages a bit...

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »
One thing I would alter is the way races are built. The frail and frivolous elf as pictured in Novus does not describe Noldor very well IMO. In ME, some races are better than others in term of attributes.
I haven't played in ME for a very long time now but speaking about it stirs some strong feelings.

imported_Witchking20k

Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:00:18 PM »
You are correct.  I think that the PC elves would have to be significantly better than the Men- Stat wise and with special abilities...Started tinkering with the cultural skills today...also, I think men should have "hard" stats for specific lineages like the Dunedan, Rohirim, etc...

imported_Rasyr

Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2012, 11:25:40 PM »
Yes, elves in middle earth are lots better than elves in Novus. In Novus I tried to make the races roughly balanced, but in ME, the races are far far from balanced...

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 02:31:54 AM »
I would give some of the races in Middle Earth some extra CPs worth of racial abilities, but what to give would be up for debate.  There is a Libram Novus that has more Talents in it, and it is good for making new races.  I need to revise my Burning Heaven races with them I think. 

imported_Witchking20k

Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 04:20:30 PM »
I think just rebuilding the races then allowing players to spend the difference between the highest valued race and their own would be fine...ie.  A noldor elf could be 75 Cp and Dunedain 65...the player spends an extra 10 CP to make up the difference.

Offline Obadiah

• View Profile
Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 03:01:58 AM »
Did this little project ever get off the ground?  Has anything ever been developed and published?

imported_Witchking20k

Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 07:57:06 PM »
not really.  the group i was playing with at the time expressed no interest in a middle earth game so i never accomplished anything substantial

Offline Obadiah

• View Profile
Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 10:37:39 PM »
I am having a bit of a shot at it.  Using backgrounds for all human races except for the Dunadan/Numenorians.  Also going to have to think over the use of magic.

imported_Witchking20k

Middle Earth Novus
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2016, 05:33:45 PM »
Magic has to be split IMO- if you derive magic from the Valar it cannot be used to harm.  If you derive magic from the song of creation it cannot directly harm (but you can make fire etc).

The Valar were not frequently worshipped directly- so, you can use local gods and spirits to customize magic a bit too.  I always thoguht the Elves in particular approached the Valar a revered elders....but I digress

All depends on timeline etc too.  Post WoTR there is likely more magic used, but, less powerful magic available because Sauron and his allies destroy a lot of the "arcane" knowledge in ME by over throwing places of power of Osgiliath and Fornost etc.