Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Starting power  (Read 443 times)

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
Starting power
« on: November 23, 2012, 02:22:32 PM »
A character may know difficult spells as soon as level 1.
For example, a shaman may begin a game with a +7 in spellcasting (Spirit Magic) and know the Summon Totem spell which has a CTN of 26 IIRC.
If he wants to cast it in game, it will prove a difficult proposition requiring to roll at least 19 or to use fate points.

But what if he want to cast in as part of his character creation to start with a Totem.
Would you find it fair to grant him access to this in exchange of fate points ? Let's say as many fate points as required to succesfully cast the spell with an average roll (11).
In the above example, it would cost him two of his starting fate points using the Static Bonus (Self) option for Fate points. (11 average roll + 7 skill + 5 + 5 = 28 to overcome the CTN of 26).

imported_Witchking20k

Starting power
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:21:49 PM »
Nobody ever responded...but that seems fair to me...or 1 fate point because they could have spent the fate point and regained it over time...

imported_Rasyr

Starting power
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 02:38:50 AM »
Somehow I missed this one as well....

Personally, I would require the player to make the rolls for the spell in front of me, but upon doing so, allow him to  start with his totem. (and yes, I would allow for Fate Points to be used -- but still the player has to make the actual dice roll).