Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: D&D next basic rules  (Read 1501 times)

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
D&D next basic rules
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:07:02 PM »
I have just had a quick reading of D&D new iteration.
So far it seems rather cool. What impress me most is the fact that they have thoroughly renewed D&D while keeping its distinctive feeling. Something that another game as fail to do so far...

I will happily read it further next week-end!
What are your first impressions?

imported_Witchking20k

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 03:37:05 PM »
I like what I read too.  I always buy the Starter Set - so, I'll give you a review when I'm done reading it through...

imported_Rasyr

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 03:50:53 PM »
I have the files from the Open Playtest -- they are interesting, I will give them that, and I think that D&D Next is better than 3E was (which required sooo much meta-game planning to make any sort of character).

Still a bit too class & level dependant for my tastes, but it is something that I could play....

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
D&D next basic rules
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 04:50:16 PM »
I agree with you. The system still relies on classes and level for most of the character definition but it is simple and elegant. The stat + specialization to replace skills reminds me of Dragon Age RPG and seems to work well. I think I will make some characters during the WE just to see how it goes.

imported_Rasyr

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 05:37:11 PM »
For those who are interested -- You can download the DND Next Basic PDF from the WOTC website -- https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/basicrules

imported_Witchking20k

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 05:44:16 PM »
I play D&D regularly.  Basically because its the only game someone else will run.  Although I am not sure that we'll play Next- I will buy the Starter Set to see where the rules have been changed.  This was actually one of the inspirations for my Old School Hack of Novus.  I have a weekend scheduled to play the pre-gens and story with my sister and her husband...for $20 you can't go wrong.

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
D&D next basic rules
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 05:47:34 AM »
Here were a few house rules that I came up with for D&D Next.  I'm probably going to give into the Stat Increases as Saves are really dependent on Stats in this edition.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEhlxQGgHkw

imported_Rasyr

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 01:09:01 PM »
no talky talky... ROFL....

But some pretty good house rules off the cuff (though I prefer individual initiative myself, and have never done "side initiative" before.

imported_Witchking20k

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 01:50:22 PM »
I'm still waiting on my boxed set.

Offline samwise7

• View Profile
D&D next basic rules
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 10:01:27 PM »
When I first ran Labyrinth Lord it used side initiative (retro-clone of Basic / Expert boxed D&D).  Each side rolls 1D6, the higher roll means that side goes first.  If you tie initiative is simultaneous.  You can have two turns in a row this way.  It's quick and it is easy to roll it every round. 

imported_Witchking20k

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 01:51:05 PM »
I like the way they handled "Advantage & Disadvantage".  Rather than using bonuses you make 2 rolls and keep the higher or lower.

imported_Rasyr

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 02:36:26 PM »
Yup, that is interesting, and it doesn't matter how many Advantages you have, one single Disadvantage wipes them all out (and vice versa).

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
D&D next basic rules
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 05:51:25 PM »
Quick and simple but lacking in granularity. Quick rules about changing TN might do the trick better I think. That said, you could always introduce a "roll 3 dice, keep the two best" option. That may lead to severe distortion when combined with the exploding dice concept.

imported_Rasyr

D&D next basic rules
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »
That is already an option for Novus under the use of Fate Points...

Offline Fidoric

• View Profile
D&D next basic rules
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 06:33:49 PM »
You are right. I have missed that one...