Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: LN 11 - Guidelines  (Read 631 times)

imported_koriryu

LN 11 - Guidelines
« on: February 08, 2019, 01:11:33 AM »
I really love the Combat Styles presented in LN11. If I wanted to create my own unique Combat Styles, how should I proceed? Are there any guidelines that I should be following?

imported_Rasyr

LN 11 - Guidelines
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 04:02:50 AM »

I really love the Combat Styles presented in LN11. If I wanted to create my own unique Combat Styles, how should I proceed? Are there any guidelines that I should be following?

At the moment no. I would use the existing ones a guidelines  in regards to the power levels for each Tier, taking into account what the weapon is and how it may be used.

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
LN 11 - Guidelines
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 11:38:44 AM »
If there is a style you are developing I'm sure the folk here could help out with ideas etc?

imported_Rasyr

LN 11 - Guidelines
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 11:58:25 AM »

If there is a style you are developing I'm sure the folk here could help out with ideas etc?

Doh! What he said!

imported_koriryu

LN 11 - Guidelines
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 11:08:12 PM »

At the moment no. I would use the existing ones a guidelines  in regards to the power levels for each Tier, taking into account what the weapon is and how it may be used.

Okay, thank you for the quick reply. By the way, I can't wait to see version 2.0.

Doh! What he said!

Thank you for the offer. I will take you up on it. A little bit of background first. I want to merge 2 genres that I really love, Fantasy and Wuxia, and Novus is really ideal for that. With LN 11, Tim has given so many wonderful Unarmed Combat Styles but I feel there are a few Weapon Styles lacking. There are especially 2 of them. I would like to create a style for 2-Handed/1-hand and half swords based upon Kenjutsu and a Throwing Star style.

For the sword style, I wanted to put the Combat Moves : Cut, Killing Strike and Power Strike. Now, logically Killing Strike should be the 5th Tier of the style, but for the other 2, I'm not sure which one seems more powerful and I have no idea, as of now, what to put as the other 2 remaining tiers. That is why I asked if there was any sort of guidelines. I would appreciate any help/advice from anyone.

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
LN 11 - Guidelines
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2019, 12:26:37 AM »
This is one for Tim!  I am unfamiliar with both the genre Wuxia and the workings of the combat styles.  Off hand I would say that Cut seems like a Tier II ability.  I would lean towards a Parry as Tier I.

imported_koriryu

LN 11 - Guidelines
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2019, 02:06:55 AM »
After thinking about it, this is what I came up with. I don't know if the style seems a little overpowered, but I hope that everyone will help correct it if it is.

Kenjutsu
This is a style a fighting to be use with a Greatsword or a Bastard Sword. It is a style that focuses on power and precision. Those who mastered this style live by the motto : "One Strike, One Kill".

Tier 1 -  The practitioner of this style learns very early that each strike should be the last, as such they have learn to attack the most vital parts of the adversary. They gain a +1 to their AB while using this style.

Tier 2 - On a successful attack, the practitioner ignores the foe's armor, so foe does not get to apply his AR against this attack. The attack only does the weapon's Base Damage. It does not do any Scaled Damage. However, foes with a natural AR would still get to apply that against this attack.

Tier 3 - The character spends a little extra time to put a little extra oomph! into his attack. If successful, this attack does 5 extra points of Base Damage.

Tier 4 - The mastery of this style is such that the character can add +1 to their AB (+2 total with the Tier 1 Bonus) while using this style.

Tier 5 - The character takes extra time and care in making his attack and in exchange he receives 2 extra Boon Points upon making a successful attack

Of course, I will probably rename the style to fit my setting, giving it more of a Martial Arts feel to it. And I want to thank AresLunthar for his advice/help. It is very much appreciated.

imported_Rasyr

LN 11 - Guidelines
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 04:56:44 AM »
The only changes I would make to what you have there would be as follows:

Kenjutsu
This is a style a fighting to be use with a Greatsword or a Bastard Sword. It is a style that focuses on power and precision. Those who mastered this style live by the motto : "One Strike, One Kill".

Tier 1 - The practitioner of this style learns very early that each strike should be the last, as such they have learn to attack the most vital parts of the adversary. They gain a +1 to their AB while using this style.
Tier 2 - On a successful attack, the practitioner ignores one half of the foe's armor (rounded up), so foe does not get to apply his full AR against this attack. The attack only does the weapon's Base Damage. It does not do any Scaled Damage. However, foes with a natural AR would still get to apply that against this attack.
Tier 3 - The character spends a little extra time to put a little extra oomph! into his attack. If successful, this attack does an extra amount of Base Damage equal to the number of Tiers that he has in this styl (i.e. up to 5 total).
Tier 4 - The mastery of this style is such that the character can add +1 to their AB (+2 total with the Tier 1 Bonus) while using this style. Additionally, the attack from Tier 2, can now ignore all worn armor, negating the Foe's AR completely. This also allows for negating  up to 1/2 of any natural AR, by allowing him to find and attack a "weak spot"
Tier 5 - The character takes extra time and care in making his attack and in exchange he receives 2 extra Boon Points upon making a successful attack

imported_koriryu

LN 11 - Guidelines
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2019, 01:35:33 PM »

The only changes I would make to what you have there would be as follows:

Kenjutsu

Tier 1 - The practitioner of this style learns very early that each strike should be the last, as such they have learn to attack the most vital parts of the adversary. They gain a +1 to their AB while using this style.
Tier 2 - On a successful attack, the practitioner ignores one half of the foe's armor (rounded up), so foe does not get to apply his full AR against this attack. The attack only does the weapon's Base Damage. It does not do any Scaled Damage. However, foes with a natural AR would still get to apply that against this attack.
Tier 3 - The character spends a little extra time to put a little extra oomph! into his attack. If successful, this attack does an extra amount of Base Damage equal to the number of Tiers that he has in this styl (i.e. up to 5 total).
Tier 4 - The mastery of this style is such that the character can add +1 to their AB (+2 total with the Tier 1 Bonus) while using this style. Additionally, the attack from Tier 2, can now ignore all worn armor, negating the Foe's AR completely. This also allows for negating  up to 1/2 of any natural AR, by allowing him to find and attack a "weak spot"

I see. Thank you so much for the help. Now, I think, I have a better understanding as to how to create new styles. I really appreciate it that you took the time out of your busy schedule to help me.

imported_Rasyr

LN 11 - Guidelines
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 02:20:53 PM »
Yup, no problem! What I did was to make the Additional Base Damage dependent upon the Tier of the weapon style, this way they work up to the bonus. And I kinda did the same for the cancel the AR, cut the lower Tier version in half, and then to compensate for that, the higher Tier version allows for halving the natural AR of a creature as well.