Main Menu

Anwyn

Novus 2nd Edition

Novus 1st Edition

Author Topic: Costs and Potions, Scrolls, and Herbal Remedies  (Read 493 times)

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
Costs and Potions, Scrolls, and Herbal Remedies
« on: February 08, 2019, 12:06:47 PM »
Novus has a small section on Potions, Scrolls, and Herbal Remedies.  Does anyone else find the costs really expensive?  Particularly for potions.  Anyway, I started looking at the money breakdown table.  If we assume that a Bronze piece is the equivalent of a dollar (easy for us Canadians & Americans) this would mean that most simple items (shirts, lanterns, etc) cost between 1-10 BP.  Then, as you work your way up you find that an Herbal Remedy of Healing costs 10 GP which is only 1 GP less than a 20' Boat.  My understanding is an Herbal Remedy is positioned to be the most accessible of the magical player aids......but, it is quite unobtainable for low-level adventurers.  I am wondering if the costs should be revisited or re-scaled into a base of Silver Pieces not Gold Pieces.

I am currently working on the Adventurers Guild/Players Guide for Jenaerika and one of the core concepts of the guild is that the PCs can buy adventuring equipment & supplies from it.  But, also, they guild buys back at 50% any magic items etc that the PCs may find.  So, if a PC finds a potion of Charisma, based on the Novus costing, they can sell it for 100 GP and essentially retire on a float of 10,000 BP or 100,000 CP (which is a lot of Good Lodging and Ale) LOL

Any thoughts?

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 04:49:56 AM »
You may be right for the costs for Herbal Remedies.

Offline AresLunthar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2019, 12:19:08 PM »
To me, the mechanics of Herbal Remedies are achievable by low-level PCs (excellent job Tim) and provide some good opportunity for adventures.  PCs could be foraging for herbs or hunting animals for ingredients/components to make these remedies.  Then they could make them and sell them or use them.  This combined with finding their own Essential Salts and a minor equipment purchase (I can't find a cost for Mortar & Pestle) and the PCs could have a way to gear themselves up for larger adventures.

imported_Rasyr

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 04:15:21 AM »
Now I have to add costs for a Mortar & Pestle.... hehehe